|Objective||Manage the workload, commitments and schedules of team members, considering their availability and skill set profiles.|
This practice spans all phases of software development.
The practice applies to all projects.
|Addressed elements in SMM|
4.4. Schedules and assignments management
|Prerequisites to apply||none|
- Manage the workload in the project
- Manage the tasks and activities using a backlog. Assign priority to each item, estimate the required effort and identify risk probability and impact.
- Assume an effort overhead, in particular to risky tasks
- Involve team members into the estimation process (e.g., using Scrum poker)
- Manage availability of team members
- Assign the tasks to team members, based on their skillset.
- Consider availability (FTE) of the team members in each weekday.
- Manage vacation periods of the team members.
- Workload of team members is not balanced across the team
- Tensions in the team rise.
- Project is late
- Workload of team members exceeds their formal engagement (FTE)
- Tensions in the team rise
- High risk of turnover
|Source||This practice has been defined based on the observation by the SwM team.|