09/01/2023Alexander van den Hil, Erik Kikkenborg, Claudio Allocchio

Case for GÉANT community collaboration of NRENs (living document)

  • Build the community
  • Understanding why we are here? (Trusted partners, Digitalization)
  • Joining forces so whenever we face a fence to be able to handle it.
  • Why the community works? Reasoning for the community.
  • Raise it to the GA level (March 2024) and gain commitment.

Feeding it into the Foresight study.

Drafting the assigned GCC members and all other GCC members contributing.




GIP 2023

    • SIG / TF Steering committee members to be asked to be reviewers of proposal

GCP coordinator and all GCC member

Annual report 2023: 

  • GCP: create from the dashboard and the GCC members feedback on single document
  • Innovation Programme (2021 follow up, 2022 and future)
  • Community Award
  • Future direction
  • Related to the communication process:
  1. First to the GEANT Exec
  2. GEANT Board
  3. After GEANT board approval to the GA

CREATE a s shared Google doc for starting to add information


Alexander van den Hil

New idea proposal on NRENs as data mover infrastructures - points made from the discussion: 

    • Add to the blueprint also the area of education
    • Preparing for global blueprint - however start building it small.
    • Community building
    • Business layer fit together technical development
    • EU level - policy level liaison
    • Bring this idea forward with SIG-MSP
    • Create a working group as additional to the original members (Jan Meijer, Lars Fisher, Roberto Sabatino, Jakob Tendel, Guido Aben) from GCC members, GEANT Research Engagement: how to get from the original idea to the actual activities
    • Organise a workshop in the beginning October (before GA, before GN5) to present the more developed position paper (look at what we deliver to users from a different perspective)

Alexander will follow up with Lars



Come up with a topic for a one of workshop (to take place ideally in each quarter per year) the GCC chairs will decide via email (size ~20 pax)

Open (continuously):

Workshop topics suggestions

Action Log - Closed Actions 


Presentation repository

Creation of a publicly available repository for all TF/SIG presentations / documentations - Plans to use Zenodo at least for a trial period.


Gyongyi and all

Code of conduct

  • Promote the existing code of conduct to the whole community more broadly
  • When signing up a mailing list or joining a community meeting it should be visible
  • Check with Sympa mailing list manager to have it added to the subscription (either when someone tries to join or when they have subscribed…etc)
  • Check with the wiki set up
  • Check with RIPE NCC, Brian Nisbet

Claudio, Paul, Gyongyi


  • Continuity:
    • Enable completion in case it is necessary after the financial calendar year – to be discussed with GEANT Finance
    • Closer collaboration with GPPC related to projects that could be integrated in the GEANT Project.
    • Projects to submit for TNC lightning talks
    • Thematic specific “showcase” of projects potentially in collaboration with the relevant TFs / SIGs and project activities.


GIP 2021&2022

    1. Follow up after the projects finished and when they are recommended to be continuing or linked back to projects or groups liaise with the relevant people
    2. Socialize accepted proposals with the relevant SIGs / TFs
  1. Done
  2. Done


GIP 2022

    • Rejection email: mentors to check comments
    • Accepted:
      • SIG/TFs liaison
      • Original reviewers informed


GCC new members

  • 20 May the Board should approve the proposed new members
  • Gyongyi to add mailing list, wiki, community pages and promote them via marcomms

Paul, TryfonCost covering for GCC members and GPPC member for costs claim


GCP Dashboard:

  • add next meeting planned
  • add line for “homeless” topics and follow up on it for future meetings of the GCC

Community Award
    • Add to the list of awardees from the past to the new Community Award pages
    • Development of the rules / requirements:
    • Volunteers to support the development of rules / requirements: Claudio Allocchio
    • Only the Awards committee to receive directly emails not the whole GCC
    • Shortlisted nominees to be displayed on the website.
    • Bring up with the GEANT Exec the suggestion to enable GEANT Association staff members to be eligible for nomination. – A proposal has been made. It was accepted.

Community websiteCreation of a new community webpagesDone

GIPFinal report templateDone

Gyöngyi Horváth , Janos, Claudio

GCC members individual interview feedback (document updated by Paul): 

    • GCC: new member induction – Gyongyi to prepare
    • PDO / Subject Matter Experts role to be revised to support TFs/SIGs
    • Consider resurrecting the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) type of meetings e.g. Technical Forum; 2 representatives per NREN technical “managers” – Janos and Claudio to work on
    • No extensive minutes only actions and key points after GCC meetings

ALLGCC members should provide updates on their individual expertise areas.Done


GCC members, Gyongyi and the Marcomms team: develop new representative presentation of the GCP thematic areas and activities


GCP infoshare: autumn infoshare before the GA meeting with specific TF/SIG activities and statistics. Highlight the content of the TF/SIG meetings and find a way for better visibility of agendas / content prior to the meetings – Sabine and Gyongyi to work on this together.




Talk with the SIG-MM Steering Committee about producing an overview / matrix of VC tools / comparison (pros and cons)

Done - SC takes it as objective 2022


GCC members to work on content recommendations for TNC22 before September 2021:



Contribute any missing information (regarding established TFs/SIGs information)  to Gyöngyi (who is in charge of the document) also considering the impact section: achievements, topics and link to projects / results (e.g. eduroam...etc). Thematic areas supported


GyongyiRelated to the coordination with the GPPC / FFPA; Channel back to the TF/SIG leaders for feedback on trends and view on future perspectives. Gyongyi to prepare the email and notify the GCC members.Done

ALLEach GCC representative (alongside GCC coordinator) can follow up with leads regarding outdated KPIs.Done



Think of new ways to bring in ideas and suggestions from the Community and NRENs into the preparation phase and feed them in to GPPC and others.


Janos, SabineRelated to the coordination with the GPPC / FFPA; Whitepaper to be reviewed by the original proposers and also by the GCCDone


General) if you find any discrepancies on the wiki pages, please email Gyöngyi



We can try and have a first try with metric benchmark before we meet in November (can therefore see how we can improve it)


Gyöngyi HorváthFollowing above action, Gyöngyi to ensure the information from SIGs/TFs regarding opinions on impact assessment are provided to GCC (create dashboard)done


Bring up point 2 under Item 4 to the other parties (Community, PMO) to see what they think is it “organize meeting with TFs and SIGs ?


Gyöngyi to send a document around outlining her vision for meeting set ups, people can suggest their preferences. Done

Innovation Programme:

    • Review the process and prepare for 2022 and plan to announce in December (previous year) that call opens in January. - Gyongyi to prepare
    • Mentors to be assigned to accepted projects under tab “Review allocations”:  – Assignment done, Important that there is also a liaison with GN5 and future GEANT projects – Gyongyi to follow up with mentors on the requirement for this task
    • Claudio to ask the GA to allocate for 2022 at least 300K.

Gyöngyi Horváth

Community Award to have it revamped – better visibility and community engagement throughout the year and recognition of the award recipients. - Gyongyi to prepare with Marcomms


Gyöngyi Horváth

GCP wiki pages synchronization and update in line with the new Community webpages on the GEANT website - Gyongyi to prepare with Marcomms and TF/SIG coordinators


Gyöngyi Horváth

TF-eHealth: approved - review it in one year time Gyongyi to notify proposer


TF-DLC (Task Force - Distributed Ledger Computing) - approved with the new charter – Gyongyi to notify proposer


MarioRelated to eHealth: The GCC to speed up the process to create a new TF. And Mario and the eHealth community propose the area where the task force should work.Done

GyongyiGyongyi to propose an outline for the GCP Infoshare and help to schedule it.Done

Gyongyi, GuidoGyongyi to set up a meeting with Maria Ristkok and Guido Aben (and potentially with Claudio and Paul) to have an initial discussion about what they would like in terms of topics for a potential extension for SIG-CISS.Done

Paul, GyongyiPrepare a proposal on how to measure effectiveness of the GEANT Innovation programme. GCP effectiveness: Apply the scorecard for TF/SIGs evaluation and align it with the GN4-3 reporting. Done

GyongyiMinutes should reflect the process of the communication about that the NRENs are involved related to the GEANT Innovation Programme. This information about the NREN liaison will be reflected as part of the FAQ. We will make it clear in all communications: infoshare, website, guidelines and FAQ. Done

ALLGCC members to add additional contacts to the list of subject matter experts for the GEANT Innovation Programme possible reviewers, preferably by Thursday, 11 February midday.Done

Paul and GyöngyiPaul and Gyöngyi to introduce the impact assessment document to GA Done

Claudio, Paul and GyöngyiCommunity Programme Infoshare to be scheduled right before this meeting.Done (infoshare postponed and scheduled after the Innovation Programme launch)

GyöngyiGyöngyi to send a Doodle poll for the first week of December to gauge everyone’s availability for the infoshare. Done, superseeded.

Gyongyi HorvathGyöngyi to set up a specific GÉANT innovation fund meeting to discuss the practicalities (December 10th, 10:00 CET)Done

Gyongyi HorvathGyöngyi to provide a Google doc documenting the structure/requirements of the GÉANT innovation fund and share with the mailing list to request volunteers to assist. Done


ALL and ClaudioAll GCC members to think of possible “missing themes and topics” we could include (e.g e-Health) as possible future TFs/SIGs. Claudio to create the document.DONE


Claudio / Paul

Ask Task Forces and NRENs if there is a demand for opening an area for AI


PaulInvite Enzo Capone to the next GCC meetingDONE


Creation of short page summary of who is who and who does what



GÉANT organizational chart can be shared with community to identify right people to talk to



GCC co-chair

to set up a meeting with PMO and GCC

Done - ongoing



Provide verbal/written response to Jan Meijer/OCRE




Provide final input on GCP Strategy doc


19 Jun 2020Sabine

to share with RENATER’s matrix for VC tools (in French)



To propose a mechanism how to fund attendance at Standardization Groups. Document what should happen when we have an engaged head and funding pot.



Value statement for GÉANT running TFs and SIGs

Organising a TF or SIG meeting

Internal Presentation: Value of TFs and SIGs

External Presentation: Value of TFs and SIGs


Value statement for the community programme - Terms of reference for the GCC

See above.


Value statement for GÉANT running TFs and SIGs

Organising a TF or SIG meeting

Internal Presentation: Value of TFs and SIGs

External Presentation: Value of TFs and SIGs

Value statement / proposition from TF-CSIRT (Value to GEANT organisation having the brand in the incident response world

Value to members and GEANT as network operator to have this collaboration

Value in having a host with relatively little baggage (good reputation being neutral)

Cost to GEANT members to have it hosted elsewhere will have a negative impact)



Value statement for the community programme - Terms of reference for the GCC

See above.


GCC to create a statement to support the importance of keeping TF-CSIRT under GEANT



contact Marcoms to help prepare a quarterly email to GA with summaries of blogs

COMPLETE - guidelines communicated to Rosanna Norman.


Valter Nordh and Klaas Wierenga

Valter to discuss with Klaas about the practicalities of the PDOs and the group to have a plan for continuity

Took actions (Klaas and Valter to provide more information)

Andrew: 2 PDOs (1 main and 1 shadowing) to follow a TF or SIG activities.


Value statement for a function of a PDO

Complete: Task Force and SIG Secretary Role / Task Force and SIG Coordinator Role


Specialised interest experts communication - TF / SIG secretaries to identify which channels they use



Valter Nordh and Klaas Wierenga

VALTER / KLAAS to have a meeting together to discuss the overview of resources within GEANT



Valter and Raimundas to find a time for a joint meeting



Nicole Harris and Klaas Wierenga

to write a proposal for collaboration on supporting Small Projects with the Vietsch Foundation


Klaas had call with Valentino. At this moment the Vietsch Foundation is lacking proposals, and so are we. We have agreed to revisit this when the opportunity arises.


Contact GEGC to ask if they can take the ownership for the Mobility Day



Have a list of options available with conditions related to remote participation to the meetings and have an in depth discussion at the next meeting. (full experience remote attendance by host NREN, limited remote attendance, face-to-face only meeting)



Guidelines for TF / SIG chairs

Closed: TF and SIG Chair and Steering Committee members Guidelines


GEANT how many of those high effort meetings can it support

Closed: 4 workshop per year per the GN4-3 workplan


Open Calls for Workshop - draft the process and requirement


Open Calls for Workshop


Valter will come back with a statement / overview of resources allocated to run the workshops by the next meeting. How many workshops can we run?

(See as above - 4 workshop per year)


Circulate what resources are available for GN4-3 Community Programme



Nicole Harris

to reformat the SIG and Task Force templates so that the main text is included as a standard template with a cover sheet with a few targeted questions.  This should include: clear target audience / participants, objectives, KPIs, SC members, topic areas and expected discussions. 


New Task Force Template

New SIG Template


Nicole Harris

to implement a process whereby GCC members are asked to act as sponsors for SIG and TF proposals.



Valter Nordh

to lead a discussion around the community consultation at the next meeting of the GCC.



Nicole Harris

to take a recommendation to approve SIG-SCOPE to the GÉANT Management Team and for a member of staff to be allocated to support this SIG.



Nadia Sluer and Nicole Harris

to communicate the need to address less ambitious KPIs and interworking with other TFs and SIGs to the SIG SCOPE steering committee.



Nicole Harris

to take a recommendation to approve SIG-NGN to the GÉANT Management Team and for a member of staff to be allocated to support this SIG.



Brook Schofield and Nicole Harris

to communicate the need to for KPIs and a well defined focus on “next generation” to the SIG-NGN steering committee.



Nicole Harris

to communicate the support of the GCC to the SIG-PMV steering committee.



Nicole Harris

to take a recommendation to approve SIG-MarComms to the GÉANT Management Team. 



Nicole Harris

to take a recommendation to approve SIG-MSP to the GÉANT Management Team. 



Nicole Harris, Peter Szegedi and Alesssandra Scicchitano

to update the KPIs for existing SIG as appropriate. 



Nicole Harris

to ask all Task Force and SIGs to consider their engagement with groups outside of NRENs and where communication can be improved.

COMPLETE: External Organisations within TFs and SIGs



Valter Nordh and Nicole Harris

to ensure that appropriate invitations are passed to the GPPC for GCC meetings.



Peter Szegedi

to discuss relationship between SIG NOC and SIG-PMV with both groups and ensure that overlaps are managed.



Nicole Harris

Nicole Harris to take a recommendation to support the approval of SIG-PMV forward as part of the GÉANT Community Programme and assign appropriate staff to support the group.




Nicole Harris

 to circulate more information to the GCC about both Trans-National Education and Science and Research Engagement when available. 



Nicole Harris

to make sure that all areas of the GCP (Task Forces, Special Interest Groups, ad hoc events and projects) are indicated on the agenda even if there are no specific updates in this area.




to comment on the proposed new templates for TFs and SIGs by end August 2016.     





Nicole Harris

to write a brief paper on how Partners, Users and Stakeholder Relations activities could work within the GÉANT Community Programme.



Valter Nordh

to discuss scope and coverage of GÉANT projects and responsibility of the GCC in relation to community projects

ACTION20161006-01Nicole Harris to talk to the communities mentioned in the graphic to make sure that they are happy with the way in which their community is represented.COMPLETE
ACTION20161006-02Nicole HarrisGÉANT staff to start collecting information for the NREN reports and investigate the ways of representation and communication that would make the information about TFs and SIGs more accessible (iconography, blogs, general reports, etc.)COMPLETE
 ACTION20161006-06Peter Szegedito change the wording of the 6th aim of the SIG-Multimedia ToR in order to get the proposal fully accepted.COMPLETE
ACTION20161006-07Peter Szegedito make arrangements to close down TF-WebRTC and establish SIG-Multimedia as part of the GCP portfolio.COMPLETE



Nicole Harris

to send the initial proposal regarding the Wifi4EU to the members of the GCC.


GÉANT staff

to come back to GCC with more concrete proposals for workshops after talking to the group suggesting them.




Nicole Harris

to move discussion of small projects to the next meeting agenda. 

 ACTION20161006-04Nicole Harris to inform the TF-RED group that GCC is postponing accepting this proposal, ask for more input, and once it is provided, organise a VC of the GCC and the NRENs working on the proposal to make the decision (before the next GCC meeting).COMPLETE
ACTION20161006-01Sigita Jurkynaite

GÉANT staff to organise an annual meeting of the chairs of the TFs and SIGs (possibly at TNC).


Claudio Allocchio

to contact the APM group and SIG-NOC to inquire whether those groups could be instrumental in collecting and sharing information in order to bridge the gap between network engineers and users.

ACTION20161006-05Nicole Harris

to take appropriate actions to close down TF-MNM as a Task Force.

ACTION20160426-12Peter Szegedito bring a proposal for TF-Storage futures to the next GCC meeting.CLOSED
ACTION201702024-01Peter Szegedi

to update the SIG-CISS Charter to take account of input from GCC members.

ACTION201702024-02Sylvia Kuipersto update the TF-RED Charter to add workpackage leader names. COMPLETE
ACTION201702024-03Sigita Jurkynaiteto update the SIG-TNE Charter to reflect the changes proposed by the GCC.COMPLETE
ACTION201702024-05Laura Durnford

to update the SIG-Marcomms and SIG-MSP KPIs as soon as possible and present to GCC.

ACTION201702024-08Valter Nordhto distribute GÉANT Service Requirements Analysis documents to GCC members.   COMPLETE
ACTION201702024-09GCC Members

to discuss a statement on the Open Science Cloud Declaration at the next meeting. 

ACTION20170411-08Nicole Harris to draft a statement for the GA on attribute release.AARC paper circulated to the GA and Valter highlighted the importance of this requirement
ACTION20170411-04Sigita Jurkynaite to write up a formal NPAPWS special project proposal for GCC’s approval. ON AGENDA
ACTION20170411-05Nicole Harris to add the Up2U project report to the agenda of the next GCC meeting.ON AGENDA
ACTION20170411-06Nicole Harris to write a draft paper on the radar exercise and the findings to be presented to the GCC at the next meeting for approval. ON AGENDA
ACTION201702024-04Brook Schofield

to update the SIG-NGN KPIs as soon as possible and present to GCC.

ACTION201702024-06Nadia Sluerto prepare a presentation on SIG-SCOPE for the next GCC meeting, working with the SIG-SCOPE group.PUSHED TO NEXT MEETING, NADIA UNAVAILABLE


Nicole Harris

to propose a cross-organisation security meeting covering operational security, community security efforts, and security research when the CISO role is recruited and to ensure that security work within the GÉANT security programme is well aligned with the broader GÉANT security strategy.

Postponed due to ongoing restructure.
ACTION20170411-01Klaas Wierenga

to prepare a presentation for discussion on the role of the Community Support Team and the GCC in promoting innovation within the GÉANT Community.

ACTION20170411-02Klaas Wierenga to prepare a summary of the community ideas (other than TFs and SIGs) and examples of how they were realised. Nicole Harris to provide inputs. FOR OCTOBER MEETING
ACTION20170411-07Simon Leinento draft a proposal for the GA on the Boston declaration.STILL TO DO  - will send after the Amsterdam meeting for Boston Declaration. 


All Members

prepare a statement for the next GA meeting from the GCC at the October 2017 meeting 

On the October Agenda


Valter Nordh

talk to the GÉANT Board about allocating funding for NPAPW



Peter Szegedi

bring further proposals on education themed activities to the October 2017 GCC meeting

On the October Agenda


Nicole Harris

prepare a proposal on managing dormant / non-active groups for the next GCC meeting

On the October Agenda

FINAL version on agenda for February meeting

20171024-06Nicole Harris

to finalise the proposal on Closing GCP activities for the next GCC meeting. 

On February Agenda.
20171024-07Nicole Harris

to prepare a Mentimeter for the next GCC meeting to demonstrate to members.    

On February Agenda. 
20171024-03Nicole Harris

to prepare an update on the Community Programme for the next GA meeting. 

20171024-04Nicole Harris

to prepare a proposal for a lightning talk style session on Task Forces and SIGs at TNC18.

Complete - unfortunately the proposal was rejected.
20170411-03Sigita Jurkynaite and Nicole Harris to make a proposition for the strategy exercise for TFs and SIGs together with the Learning & Development team. Approach being used with SIG-ISM and WISE



Nicole Harris

arrange at TF and SIG Chairs meeting at TNC18 with more dedicated time

On the October Agenda

See proposals around TNC on February agenda

20171024-01Valter Nordh and Klaas Wierengato raise the issues of bridging the innovation pipeline gap with the Board and with the GPPC.

In progress - short report for the next meeting. 

See proposals on innovation enable in GN4 white papers

20180222-01Valter Nordh

to distribute the list of GCC members and the end of their terms.

20180222-02Nicole Harris

to develop webpage/application process for small project funds before next GCC meeting.

20180222-04GGCto give input on GN4 White Papers.Closed.
20180410-01Casper DreefRevise and redistribute the minutes of the 8th GCC meeting.Closed.
20171024-02Nicole Harris and Nadia Sluer

to start the process of closing SIG-SCOPE. 

20171024-05Brook Schofield

to provide an update on SIG-NGN status for the next meeting.    

20180222-03Nicole Harris and Klaas Wierenga

to take funding process for small projects up with finance.

20180410-02Valter Nordh, Nicole Harris, Klaas Wierenga, Guido Aben, Alf Moens, Claudio AllocchioTo discuss a support mechanism for task forces and SIGs.Closed.
20180410-03Casper DreefTo organize a VC about the current TF-SMD proposal with proposers.Closed.

  • No labels