The GN4-2 project developed a solution to offer an IdP as a Service solution for hosted IdPs. This incubator investigates the business case of this solution to investigate how this solution could be made into a sustainable service offering.
When the incubator is finished, a business model for the provisioning of the GEANT IdPaaS platform will be made available, defined in its fundamental parts. The business model will define for the IdPaaS platform the following key points:
- Added value of the IdPaaS platform with respect to the current provisioninig model for Identity providers in eduGAIN / GEANT community
- What will be the provided product: Deployment model and service provisioning scenario, after identification of the service target users
- Key benefits for : a) End Users b) Individual Home Institutions IdP managers c) Federation operators
- Product Service deployment requirements and service lifecycle management
- Raugh estimate of the costs to provide the service
In addition to the business model, the Incubator IdPaaS task will work to consolidate the current provided GN4-2 platform, with the aim to:
- Add a set of minimal required functionality to make the product consistent and attractive for target users, like:
- Add to the current "spawn new IdP" functionality also the "IdP management/Configuration updates" functionality.
- Make the platform to be an eduGAIN Service Provider accessible via federated credentials.
- Add the necessary hooks to onboard Home Organization IdP admins ( without federated credentials available initially).
- Consolidate the product in terms of robustness, testing, stress testing and scalability.
- Package the product to ease the deployment.
- Integrate the platform with the required additional services to support a reasonable and concrete deployment scenario.
- Document the service for
Also, given the option to adopt a full fledged developed solution made available by the SAMLIDP.IO company, this task will assess the possibility to endorse this platform, further developing it where/if needed, and bless it as the provided solution as an alternative to the GN4-2 Campus IdP platform.