Active Measurement Tools
Active measurement injects traffic into a network to measure properties about that network.
- ping - a simple RTTandloss measurement tool using ICMP ECHO messages
- fping - ping variant supporting concurrent measurement to multiple destinations
- SmokePing - nice graphical representation of RTT distribution and loss rate from periodic "pings"
- OWAMP - a protocol and tool for one-way measurements
There are several permanent infrastructures performing active measurements:
- HADES DFN-developed HADES Active Delay Evaluation System, deployed in GEANT/GEANT2 and DFN
- RIPE TTM
- QoSMetricsBoxes used in RENATER's Métrologie project
– Main.SimonLeinen - 29 Mar 2006