There is a large and growing number of path-measurement tools derived from the well-known
traceroute tool. Those tools all attempt to find the route a packet will take from the source (typically where the tool is running) to a given destination, and to find out some hop-wise performance parameters along the way.
Bandwidth Measurement Tools:pchar,Iperf,bwctl,nuttcp,Netperf,RUDE/CRUDE,ttcp,NDT, DSL Reports
Use: Evaluate the Bandwidth between two points in the network.
Use: information about Delay, Jitter and packets loss between two probes.
These tools perform their measurement by looking at existing traffic. They can be further classified into
- SNMP Device Polling: MRTG, Cricket
- Operating System Instrumentation, in particular TCP Measurement Instrumentation
- NetFlow-based: flow-tools etc.
- Packet Capture and Analysis Tools: tcpdump, Wireshark/Ethereal, jnettop
- Network Troubleshooting Tools,ESnetfasterdata Network Performance Knowledge Base, February 2011 (last checked)
- Performance Measurement Tools Taxonomy, CAIDA (Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis), December 2010 (last checked)
– Main.FrancoisXavierAndreu & Main.SimonMuyal - 06 Jun 2005
-- Main.HankNussbacher - 01 Jun 2005
-- Main.SimonLeinen - 2005-07-15 - 2014-12-27
– Main.AlessandraScicchitano - 2013-01-30