- RFC 4821, Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery, M. Mathis, J. Heffner, March 2007.
- RFC 1191, Path MTU discovery, Mogul, J. and S. Deering, November 1990.
- RFC 1981, Path MTU Discovery for IP version 6, McCann, J., Deering, S., and J. Mogul, August 1996.
- draft-ietf-6man-rfc1981bis-06, Path MTU Discovery for IP version 6, Jack McCann, Stephen E. Deering, Jeffrey Mogul, Robert M. Hinden, April 2017
- RFC 2923, TCP Problems with Path MTU Discovery, K. Lahey, September 2000
- RFC 3128, Protection Against a Variant of the Tiny Fragment Attack (RFC 1858), Miller, I., June 2001.
- RFC 4459, MTU and Fragmentation Issues with In-the-Network Tunneling, P. Savola, February 2006.
- draft-saum-nvo3-pmtud-over-vxlan-05, PMTUD Over Vxlan, Saumya Dikshit, A Sujeet Nayak, June 2017
- Measuring the Evolution of Transport Protocols in the Internet, A. Medina, M. Allman, and S. Floyd, April 2005.
- PMTU (Path MTU) Discovery - Some servers are unusable for many internet users, an article about problems with Path MTU Discovery and their effects.
- Practical hints from Cisco for working around PMTUD issues, for Windows, Solaris, and other systems
- IP Fragmentation and PMTUD, Cisco White Paper
- draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-08, Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for Datagram Transports, Godred Fairhurst, Tom Jones, Michael Tuexen, Irene Ruengeler, Timo Voelker, June 2019
- draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-udp-options-dplpmtud-00, Datagram PLPMTUD for UDP Options, Godred Fairhurst, Tom Jones, April 2019
- draft-ietf-bier-path-mtu-discovery-06, Path Maximum Transmission Unit Discovery (PMTUD) for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) Layer, Greg Mirsky, Tony Przygienda, Andrew Dolganow, June 2019
- draft-ietf-tram-stun-pmtud-12, Path MTU Discovery Using Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN), Marc Petit-Huguenin, Gonzalo Salgueiro, Felipe Garrido, September 2019
- draft-ietf-6man-mtu-option-0001, IPv6 Minimum Path MTU Hop-by-Hop Option, Robert M. Hinden, Godred Fairhurst, August September 2019
- for Linux 2.6 - integrated in mainstream kernel as of 2.6.17. However, it is disabled by default (see net.ipv4.tcp_mtu_probing sysctl)
- for NetBSD