First launched in July 2015, the Eastern Partnership Connect (EaPConnect) project aimed to:
- establish and operate a high-capacity broadband internet network for research and education (R&E) across six EaP partner countries in the EU’s Eastern Neighbourhood: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine;
- integrate the national research and education networks (NRENs) in the region into the pan-European GÉANT network; decrease the digital divide;
- facilitate participation of local scientists, students and academics in global R&E collaborations;
- deploy eduroam and stimulate integration towards GÉANT services.
By interconnecting the R&E communities across the region and with their European counterparts, EaPConnect will create a gateway for talented individuals in the EaP countries to be truly global players.
Second project phase launched in June 2020 to continue on bringing research and education communities together aiming to:
- Extend network infrastructure (digital
highways) to scale-up scientific exchange
- Increase the use of services implemented under EaPConnect and offer new services to enhance international cooperation in R&E.
- Strengthen EaP NRENs’ position in the
national R&E ecosystems.