The purpose of this pilot is to build a setup in which users can access X.509-based resources without the need for them to understand the intricacies of a PKI. The pilot requires an online CA, plus a scalable trust model applicable for the multi-infrastructure-multi-federation European research landscape.
A high-level introduction is given in the this AARC blog post
A detailed description can be found in these wiki pages.
The setup consists of
- An online CA: RCauth.eu
- Several Master Portals, run by e.g. EGI, ELIXIR.
- Many VO-portal, also known as Science Gateways.
The online CA is a service provider which has entered eduGAIN, and has as a CA been accredited by IGTF (as a so-called IOTA CA). In order to protect the service, a filtering WAYF has been implemented which only accepts Identity Providers that publish the R&S set of attributes and are conforming to the Sirtfi.
We have created two demonstrator Master Portal clients, which talk to a semi-production Master Portal (running for EGI), serviced by the production RCauth.eu online CA. We also have setup a test VOMS service with test VO, to test and showcase the integration with a VOMS attribute authority. The two demonstrators are:
- a simple PHP program showing the basic API and handshake, with a possibility to execute the same demonstrator code. The code additionally shows how to integrate with VOMS or how to specify a specific IdP at the WAYF.
- a simple Science Gateway allowing access to a gsiftp-enabled storage service (a test dCache instance, https://prometheus.desy.de/). This shows how X.509-based storage elements can be accessed using a science gateway, where authorization is based on VOMS attributes (group membership etc.).
- RCauth.eu online CA is based on CILogon-software from the US-based CILogon project. A few adaptations had to be made to conform to European privacy regulations. The backend CA is based on a myproxy-server with a eToken as simple HSM plus some extra software to run the CA on a separate network.
- The Master Portal is also based on the same software, implementing simultaneously an OA4MP client and server plus glue to connect the two. It has a backend myproxy-server for credential caching.
The adaptations of the code for this pilot can be found on the RCauth.eu github repository
- ansible scripts for setting up a Delegation Server (online CA) or a Master Portal
- SimpleSAMLPHP has been used to build a filtering WAYF.
- A VOMS server to run a test VO.
- some simple PHP clients to test the flow and make a demonstrator.