I'm very fond listening music at home and started my personal music collection. I was aware of this practice, and since then started 24/96 flac collection. As mechanical hard drives became more and more affordable, storage was not an issue for the NAS I deployed. I purchased then a refurbished but still decent DLNA network player (DMP) that would be able to stream music sources from DLNA server(DMS). All of this is orchestrated though my mobile phone acting as DLNA media controller (DMC). So far so good, but DLNA alliance expects that all DLNA protagonists are in the same and unique broadcast domain.
You might have guess already, but I'm not a huge FAN of having a single layer 2 domain at home and throw everything inside the same subnetwork. Granted the fact that not all home network are running OSPF/ ISIS MPLS or Segment Routing, everything is so simple and more predictable to manage at layer 3 whether you use IPv4 or IPv6.
Long story short, I can't listen music by structuring my home network using layer 3 as it is now ...
In this article we will pursue the SOHO network appliance installation and enable THE UNIQUE freeRouter feature that you won't find in any router in the world: UPNP forwarder server.
source: DLNA German wikipedia
[ SOHO #008 ] - "It's the end of L2 at my home... At last !"
The first step is to configure an UPNP hub server
- As any other server it is bound to loopback0
- And operate inside VRF inet
Now that you have an UPNP hub, we need to configure any upnp forwarder client where we expect to see any incoming UPNP/DLNA message
In this case, WIFI network we encompasses all mobile clients. My phone is acting as DMC here, but it could also be a DMS. The upnp forwarder:
- has a target UPNP hub (we configured 188.8.131.52)
- is bound to interface sdn2
- operates within VRF inet
In this precise case wired-media is another UPNP fowarder client that will forward all UPNP message to UPNP hub 192.168.254.1. As you might have guessed behind sdn2 is cascaded my NAS and DLNA network streamer (DMP or DMR)
In this example the key idea is:
- Create a UPNP hub
- Create a UPNP forwarder bound to any interface where you expect DLNA/UPNP communication
- In this case DMS and DMR are behind sdn2
- DMC is behind WIFI
In the screenshot below, the DLNA player is shutdown
Check that the App is able to discover the DLNA server DMS in other L3 subnet
In this article we enabled RARE/freeRouter DLNA/UPNP server/client:
- You have now the possibility to position any DLNA devices on any L3 subnet of your home network
- Bye bye flat single VLAN design
- Not having a flat VLAN is desirable when you have lots of IPv4/IPv6 devices of different nature. You would want domotic/IoT devices not in the same subnet as your wifi client and have a separate subnet for you NAS or wired services
RARE validated design: [ SOHO #006 ] - key take-away
In this example the key take-away are:
- Configure an UPNP hub
- Configure UPNP forwarder on very interface you expect DLNA/UPNP communication
- Of course this is IPv4/IPv6 compliant
This is a pretty unique freeRouter feature !