The term of the eSG Chair and non-voting invited observers is two calendar years. The eSG is responsible for:
- .Approving changes to the profiles and documents in the eduGAIN Policy Framework, such as introducing updating or removing profiles or documents.
- Decisions on metadata peering relationships, e.g. exchanging metadata with other trust infrastructures.
- Reviewing and approving the membership of new Federations.
- Approving disqualification or temporary suspension for Member Federations as described in section 3.6.
- Appointing the Chair and non-voting invited observers to the eSG.
- Other tasks delegated to the eSG in supplementing Technology Profiles.
Decisions of the eSG are determined by a simple majority of Member Federations from the active list at the time of the call to vote, apart from constitutional changes (see 4.4). Member Federations may vote on all constitutional changes and new Technology Profiles but may only vote on changes to Technical Profiles in active use within their federations. Each Member Federation’s vote is equal, and each Member Federation is initially regarded as active. A Member Federation which is absent from two consecutive votes will be removed from the active list for the purpose of subsequent votes. Participating in a vote returns the federation to the active list.