Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

The eduGAIN Steering Group (eSG) is a body that consists of participant federations’ representatives and has an oversight role in the eduGAIN service. The delegates and deputies are nominated by their respective eduGAIN member federations. Each member federation has one delegate to vote.

The eSG is responsible for:

  1. Approving the profiles and documents in the Policy Framework and their updates.
  2. Decisions on peering relationships.
  3. Approving the membership of new Federations.
  4. Approving participant federation’s disqualification or temporary suspension of eduGAIN membership in case of Policy Framework violation
  5. Accept or amend the plan for audits of eduGAIN operations
  6. Appointing the Chair and non-voting invited observers to the eSG.
  7. Appointing the Operational Team.
  8. Other tasks delegated to the eSG in supplementing profiles.

Decisions of the eSG are determined by a simple majority vote of active participants at the time of the call to vote. Each participant federation’s vote is equal, and each participant federation is initially regarded as active.

eduGAIN Steering Group Meetings

In the recent past the following meetings have taken place:

eduGAIN Town Hall Meetings

The Town Hall Meetings are of informative nature and open to the public. In the recent past the following meetings have taken place:

Open Actions from eduGAIN Meetings

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • ACTION-TBA: TBA
eduGAIN SG-2018 August
  • ACTION-TBA: TBA
eduGAIN SG-2018 June
  • ACTION20180327-04: eduGAIN-OT to implement a yearly check of basic requirements for member federations.  If requirements are not being met by any member federation, these issues will be brought to the next eduGAIN-SG for review. 
eduGAIN SG-2018 March
  • ACTION20180327-05: Brook SchofieldNicole Harris to contact all of the federations that do not have an adequate MRPS to discuss a plan for implementing a MRPS. 
Brook SchofieldeduGAIN SG-2018 March

Completed Actions from eduGAIN Meetings

DescriptionDue dateAssigneeTask appears on
  • ACTION20180327-01Nicole Harris to ask all the SG delegates and deputies to opt-in to having their data published on the eduGAIN website, and make them aware that email can be hidden.
Nicole HarriseduGAIN SG-2018 March
  • ACTION20180327-02Brook Schofield to propose a change in the mailing list settings to allow subscribers of the eduGAIN-SG to see other subscribers and give them a window to object. 
Brook SchofieldeduGAIN SG-2018 March
  • ACTION20180327-03Brook Schofield to propose email response as a simple bar for measuring responsiveness of candidate federations.
Brook SchofieldeduGAIN SG-2018 March
eduGAIN SG-2018 March

ACTION20150430-01: Brook to move the current candidates forward to vote and then consider the proposed changes to the process with the OT and other relevant stakeholders. 

ACTION20150430-02: NH to circulate the MRPS for comment. 

ACTION20150430-03: Rhys / Brook / Nicole to work on an FAQ that looks at the issues involved in introducing an new technology profile to eduGAIN.

ACTION20151013-03: Update membership of the eduGAIN SG mailing list.

ACTION20161013-03: Brook to create a no-op vote to allow members to re-establish their voting rights.  

ACTION20161013-04: Brook to distributed an email with details on how to vote for KAFE membership of eduGAIN.

ACTION20161013-01: Brook and Justin to poll edugain-SG members on required approval processes internally for eduGAIN constitutional sign-off.

ACTION20161013-02: Brook and Nicole to document voting history.  (This action was completed - an initial page https://wiki.edugain.org/EduGAIN_Votes was established.  After the compilation of the 1st version of EduGAIN_Votes and a discussion on the mailing list it was decided that a “no-op” vote would be held in the lead up to the next eduGAIN SG meeting to allow members to re-establish their voting right

ACTION20151013-02: Investigation by the eduGAIN OT on the duplication of @scope in metadata via a monitoring standpoint and a recommendation of what to do about this.)

ACTION20170629-01: Christos to provide a wrap up email to the Steering Group list to solicit further input before returning to eIDAS.

ACTION20170629-02: Steering Group members to look thought the proposal documents and consider if there is consensus on how to interact with eIDAS.

ACTION 20170831-01: Chair to ask all “voting-only” members for the timeline for their participation and provide input to the next meeting.


  • No labels