The eduGAIN Steering Group (eSG) is a body that consists of participant federations’ representatives and has an oversight role in the eduGAIN service. The delegates and deputies are nominated by their respective eduGAIN member federations. Each member federation has one delegate to vote.
The eSG is responsible for:
- Approving the profiles and documents in the Policy Framework and their updates.
- Decisions on peering relationships.
- Approving the membership of new Federations.
- Approving participant federation’s disqualification or temporary suspension of eduGAIN membership in case of Policy Framework violation
- Accept or amend the plan for audits of eduGAIN operations
- Appointing the Chair and non-voting invited observers to the eSG.
- Appointing the Operational Team.
- Other tasks delegated to the eSG in supplementing profiles.
Decisions of the eSG are determined by a simple majority vote of active participants at the time of the call to vote. Each participant federation’s vote is equal, and each participant federation is initially regarded as active.
eduGAIN Steering Group Meetings
In the recent past the following meetings have taken place:
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting January 2012
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting July 2014 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting April 2015 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting October 2015 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting May 2016 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting October 2016 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting December 2016 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting February 2017 as Video Conference. Minutes?
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting April 2017 as Video Conference.
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting June 2017 as Video Conference.
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting August 2017 as Video Conference
- eduGAIN Steering Group Meeting January 2018 as Video Conference
- at APAN45, Singapore
- at Internet2 Global Summit, San Diego
- as Video Conference
- at APAN46, Auckland
- as Video Conference (TBC)
- as Video Conference (TBC)
eduGAIN Town Hall Meetings
The Town Hall Meetings are of informative nature and open to the public. In the recent past the following meetings have taken place:
- eduGAIN Town Hall Meeting December 2014 in Vienna, Austria
- eduGAIN Town Hall Meeting December 2015 in Vienna, Austria
- eduGAIN Town Hall Meeting February 2017 in Vienna, Austria
- eduGAIN Town Hall Meeting December 2017 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Open Actions from eduGAIN Meetings
Description Due date Assignee Task appears on eduGAIN SG-2018 September Brook Schofield eduGAIN SG-2018 August eduGAIN SG-2018 March Brook Schofield eduGAIN SG-2018 March
Completed Actions from eduGAIN Meetings
Description Due date Assignee Task appears on Nicole Harris eduGAIN SG-2018 March Brook Schofield eduGAIN SG-2018 March Brook Schofield eduGAIN SG-2018 March eduGAIN SG-2018 March
ACTION20150430-01: Brook to move the current candidates forward to vote and then consider the proposed changes to the process with the OT and other relevant stakeholders.
ACTION20150430-02: NH to circulate the MRPS for comment.
ACTION20150430-03: Rhys / Brook / Nicole to work on an FAQ that looks at the issues involved in introducing an new technology profile to eduGAIN.
ACTION20151013-03: Update membership of the eduGAIN SG mailing list.
ACTION20161013-03: Brook to create a no-op vote to allow members to re-establish their voting rights.
ACTION20161013-04: Brook to distributed an email with details on how to vote for KAFE membership of eduGAIN.
ACTION20161013-01: Brook and Justin to poll edugain-SG members on required approval processes internally for eduGAIN constitutional sign-off.
ACTION20161013-02: Brook and Nicole to document voting history. (This action was completed - an initial page https://wiki.edugain.org/EduGAIN_Votes was established. After the compilation of the 1st version of EduGAIN_Votes and a discussion on the mailing list it was decided that a “no-op” vote would be held in the lead up to the next eduGAIN SG meeting to allow members to re-establish their voting right
ACTION20151013-02: Investigation by the eduGAIN OT on the duplication of @scope in metadata via a monitoring standpoint and a recommendation of what to do about this.)
ACTION20170629-01: Christos to provide a wrap up email to the Steering Group list to solicit further input before returning to eIDAS.
ACTION20170629-02: Steering Group members to look thought the proposal documents and consider if there is consensus on how to interact with eIDAS.
ACTION 20170831-01: Chair to ask all “voting-only” members for the timeline for their participation and provide input to the next meeting.