This document describes operational procedures implemented to support eduGAIN SAML services. It The procedures regarding eduGAIN membership are described in eduGAIN Operational Practice Statement. The Operational Practice Statement is required by the eduGAIN SAML Profile document [eduGAIN-Profile] and in addition to the Metadata the Metadata Aggregation Practice Statement must be seen as complementary to eduGAIN SAML Profile.
|Name||Access location||Description||Managed by|
|ECCS||https://technical.edugain.org/eccs/||eduGAIN Connectivity Check Service is a monitoring service for IdPs listed in eduGAIN, testing if they are actually ready for eduGAIN, i.e. if they consume eduGAIN metadata||OT|
|isFederated Check||https://technical.edugain.org/isFederatedCheck/||This tool searches all known academic identity federations for matching organisations and then displays the results.||OT|
|CoCo monitor||http://monitor.edugain.org/coco/||Monitoring service testing for REFEDS Code of Conduct compliance||SRCE|
|Technical testing platform||http://technical-test.edugain.org||This host serves as a playground for software development done by the operational team. All extensions are applied, tested and presented at this platform and then transferred to production using the git mechanism||OT|
|WIKI||The WIKI is maintained as a part of the GEANT WIKI space. The content is provided by many members of the community. WIKI serves as technical documentation, formal documentation (meeting minutes, documentation of operational procedures) and various guides on joining and making most of eduGAIN||GEANT core|
Operational Team tasks
As defined in [eduGAIN-CONST] the Operational Team (OT) is responsible for:
- Daily technical issues in central eduGAIN operations (e.g. website, central member database).
- Collaboration with the operators of each Technology Profile.
- Receiving enquiries about eduGAIN and forwarding them to the appropriate body.
- Receiving, reviewing and processing applications to join eduGAIN against basic eligibility criteria as set out in the eduGAIN Policy Declaration.
- Preparing and publishing an eduGAIN Operational Practice Statement (this document) for the eduGAIN interfederation service, covering central operations and relationship with each technology profile.
- Preparing an audit plan for the eduGAIN operational practices on the request of the eSG.
At the moment the OT also acts as the operator of the SAML technology profile.
Management of core eduGAIN services
- eduGAIN OT directly manages:
- isFederated check
- eduGAIN OT supervises
- CoCo monitor
The joining process support has been assigned to the Operational Team, but decision making and organising the voting process currently lies within the eduGAIN SG and its chair. The OT handles all technical details of joining, like metadata validation, signing certificate handling etc. Any paperwork is handled by the eduGAIN secretariat provided by GEANT.
eduGAIN operational model and availability of services
[eduGAIN-OPS] eduGAIN Operational Practice Statement
[eduGAIN-BCP] Best Current Practice