- All virtual machines running eduGAIN services are regularly updated.
- Before an update is planned, the local personel at PSNC are notified in the case of an update failure and immediate restore. An update forward notice is sent to the eduGAIN SG.
- In the case of large configuration changes, like moving services to new hosts, applying large infrastructure changes etc., a notice at least 7 days in advance is sent to the eduGAIN SG
- All changes are documented in the log available for inspection at: https://technical.edugain.org/system_updates
Metadata aggregation procedures
mds-feed downloads federation metadata feeds using conditional GET.
if the conditional GET resulted in a download of a new metadata file, such file is passed through the local validator instance, if validation succeeds the downloaded file is used as an input for aggregator if it fails, the previous correct feed copy us used instead
- the newest available validated copy of the federation metadata feed is kept for future use
the validated metadata files are passed to a pyFF flow, see also [eduGAIn-meta] Metadata combination and collision handling
pyFF aggregates and then sign signs the resulting feed
the resulting file is analysed, broken into entities and used to update the edugain-db
the final output is sent uploaded with sftp to the technical host using a dedicated user account on the the technical host
at 45 minutes past every hour the new copy of eduGAIN metadata aggregate is copied to the final destination directory and when the copy is completed the mv action is performed in order to substitute the production file in an atomic mode
finally the new eduGAIN metadata aggregate file is copied to the history repository and compressed
At midnight (CET) hourly copies of metadata are deleted from the repository, leaving only a single daily file. These daily files can then be used as a source of various data analysis.
Handling of aggregation alerts