GÉANT Software Catalogue is an up-to-date repository of information about software development projects and teams. The tool facilitates and supports the software engineering community in various processes that require knowledge on software development efforts.
So far, an in-depth information about the software projects and development teams in GÉANT has been gathered manually through surveys. In 2017, in the survey conducted by the GN4-2-SA2-T1, 30 software projects were identified. There were developed by about 20 software development teams of highly skilled professionals originating from different member NRENs.
Information about individual participants in the GÉANT project and their roles in particular activities and tasks is maintained via the internal COmanage Registry [GN-COmanage]. Data related to software developent is already stored and maintained on an ongoing basis in multiple databases such as GN-Jira, GN-Bitbucket, individual NRENs' Git repositories or external hosting platforms (e.g. GitHub or GitLab).
Considering the above, an up-to-date catalogue of software projects and teams needs to be established in order to provide a way of building a big picture of software development in the GÉANT project.More than 4 years ago, in February 2019, the Software Catalogue was launched and keeps working on the long term mission of building and sharing the "big picture" of GEANT software development efforts. The SC does this in an automated way by exploring projects' resources like Git, JIRA, GitHub, GitLab and many others.
SC may be compared to other available directories like, for example, Apache Projects Directory.
Example use cases for the catalogue
|Advanced Tables - Table Plus|
- indexing software projects and teams;
- focus on organisational and technical aspects;
- actual project community is recognized instead of just "declared" team members;
- unified view for all items in cataloguesoftware initiatives;
- access restricted to organisation members;
- information collected automatically;
- information download from heterogeneous and scattered sources;
- integration with Mend.io and SonarQube.
- information updated continuously.
- Webinar: Software Catalogue (GSC) is here: explore, contribute and see how it can work for you, 2019
- Article: GÉANT Software Catalogue as a code portfolio, 2018