We will deal with a series of article related to STORDIS BF2556X-1T P4 switch. The key highlight of this box is:
- It is a P4 TOFINO NPU based switch
- TOFINO version has 2 cores (i.e. 2 pipes) and can manage up to 2 Tbps
- It offers multiple connection types and rates:
- 48x25GSFP28 and 8x100GQSFP28
- SFP28 port [1 - 16] can configure into 1G/10G/25G
- SFP28 port [17 - 48] can configure into 10G/25G
- QSFP28 port [49 - 56] Each QSFP28 port can configure into 1x100G,2x50G,4x25G, 1x40G or 4x10G Mode.
- 48x25GSFP28 and 8x100GQSFP28
- SyncE and 1588 support
In this article, we will just do a basic introduction of the BF2556X-1T
[ #001 ] - BF2556X-1T in a nutshell
What's in the box
Quick Installation guide
STORDIS BF2556X-1T Racked
STORDIS BF2556X-1T alongside to his P4 brothers: Edgecore WEDGE100BF32X
The system uses Barefoot BFN-T10-032D-020 (Tofino 2.0T) Switch Chip which can support 20 x 100GE ports.
Major features are:
- 2.0 Tbps bandwidth
- One Barefoot BFN-T10-032D-020(Tofino 2.0T) Switch ASIC
- Ethernet support 80x25G SERDES ports
- Management SERDES support four ports 10G-KR
- PCIe Gen3 x 4lanes
- Eight Marvell 98PX1024
- Single chip support 4x25G SERDES
- Network Interface
- 48x25G SFP28 and 8x100G QSFP28
- SFP28 port 1~16 can configure into1G/10G/25G.
- SFP28 port17~48 can configure into 10G/25G.
- Each QSFP28 port can configure into 1x100G,2x50G,4x25G, 1x40G or 4x10G Mode.
- CPU Module: Optional Module design for flexibility
- Intel® Xeon® Processors D1527 (BDXDE)
- BMC: Base Board Management Controller
- BMC is a specialized service processor that monitors the physical state of a system.
- ASPEED AST2520
- Management Port:
- 3xRJ45 10/100/1000Mbps OOBM(Out Of Band Management) port
- FAN Tray:
- Four 40mmx56mm Fan-tray
- Supporting 3+1 redundancy
- Support front to back and back to front air direction.
- 1+1 redundant PSU
- Each PSU will be supporting 850W power to system.
- 12V standby power for system management chips.
- Support DC power supply
The BF2556X-1T is a horse power:
- the usage of 8 cores having each one 2 threads speeds up P4 program compilation. (BF2556X-1T as 2x more core than the WEDGE100BF32X)
- SyncE 1588 might be certainly important for you should your P4 application require precise time synchronisation capability
- Having 1G/10G/25G/40/50G/100G connectivity via SFP28 and QSFP28 will make the BF2556X-1T ready for multiple use case.
- In a P/PE architecture MPLS PE proposing 1G/10G connectivity and having uplink toward the core
- In a collapse core can be used a MPLS PE router
- Can be used as a leaf or Tor switch/router
- BRAS/BNG router
In this 1st article you:
- had a brief description STORDIS BF2556X-1T hardware platform
- The hardware provide p4 connectivity at 1GE capacity (16x1GE ports is available)
- In addition to 1GE it also provide 10/25/40/50/100G connectivity
RARE hardware plarform: [ BF2556X-1T #001 ] - key take-away
- From RARE/FreeRouter point of view, BF2556X-1T is very good candidate for PE (Provider Edge) router.
The 8x100G ports can make as a strong in a collapse core architecture (P function merge with PE functions), the box can also be used a a BGP route as it boast with 32 GB of RAM (~10 full BGP feeds), but you won't leverage the ports availability. It can be used to implement BRAS/BNG use case but would be also a good candidate as a ToR in Data Center envionment with BGP/MPLS capability and the possibility to provide 1GE connection to existing server purchased beforehand.
- SyncE 1588 support is a key features if your application needs precision provided by PTP
As we will discover the box, we will explain in further articles how to benefit from this features.
- RARE/freeRouter @design can coexist with Virtualisation technology BF2556X-1T
We just started our experience with this box. You'll find further, a series of article dedicated to BF2556X-1T depicting:
- How to proceed to initial OS installation
- Proceed to STORDIS BF2556X-1T software installation (TOFINO SDE and Gearbox) installation
- Port operations on TOFINO ports SFP28 port 16-47 and QSFP28 port 48-56
- Port operations on GearBox ports SFP28 port 1-16 (1G/10G/25G)
- How to benefit from SyncE 1588 support
- RARE/freeRouter effective installation
The installation will be implemented should be compliant to ISP TELECOM standard. (It should survives power outage, easy upgrade features, start automatically at boot time without any human intervention)