GÉANT Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are established under the auspices of GÉANT in order to create an open forum where experts from its community exchange information, knowledge, ideas and best practices about specific technical or other areas of business relevant to the research and education networking community.
The GÉANT SIG-Multimedia is the successor of the former task forces on streaming (TF-Stream), netcasting (TF-Netcast), voice and video collaboration (TF-VVC), enhanced communications (TF-ECS), media applications (TF-Media) and web based communications (TF-WebRTC).
The aims of this SIG are
- to provide a forum for gathering and exchanging experiences, ideas and knowledge on the development, deployment, testing and standardisation of innovative multimedia protocols, infrastructures, services and applications.
- to engage with the subject matter experts of the wider R&E community as well as industry, primarily addressing the Video/Web Conference, Multimedia, Streaming, E-Learning and Distant Collaboration teams.
- to facilitate interoperability at all costs among the current technology and service silos for the benefit of the European R&E community and beyond. Share knowledge and information about existing solutions and planned developments/integrations in order to avoid the duplication of efforts where possible.
- to advise innovative applications for both the high-end users (4k, 8k, real-time, interactive, low latency, secure, encrypted) and the long-tail (educative, smart, easy-to-use, connected, interoperable).
- to promote and demonstrate cutting edge infrastructure/service/application pilots and proof-of-concepts that put GÉANT in the forefront of the global collaborations.
- to facilitate the promotion and use of the GÉANT-NORDUnet Vconf Tender results and the GN4-2 JRA4 T4/5 WebRTC-related activities. Collect feedback and input for the potential next iterations of cloud vendor/service engagements.
- to collaborate with international/global peers including but not limited to Intrenet2, RNP, RedCLARA, CAREN, APAN, AARNet, CERN, e-Infrastructures.