Tools to process Metadata
Shibboleth Metadata Aggregator
The Shibboleth Metadata Aggregator provides a command line tool and REST-based web service to support publishers and consumers of metadata. Officially it is still under development and not yet a finished product. It is however used already in production by several major identity federations. Its draft documentation is available in the Shibboleth Wiki. The software is written in Java Spring.
Shibboleth XML Sec Tool
The XmlSecTool is a Java command line tool to download, check and sign XML documents. It can check well-formedness, schema validity and signature of an XML document. In comparison to the Shibboleth Metadata Aggregator the focus is really on validating and signing metadata.
pyFF metadata aggregator
pyFF is a SAML metadata aggregator written in Python. The code is available on GitHub. Its configuration is considered by some to be much easier than that of the Shibboleth Metadata Aggregator. Like the Shib MDA it can talk to HSMs and Tokens via PKCS11.
Interfederated Demo Services
The services below can be used as test services in order to check if the attribute release from an Identity Provider to a service in a foreign federation works correctly.
- AAI Attribute Viewer from the Swiss SWITCHaai Federation enables users to dump the list of attributes it gets from the Identity Provider.
- Haka Attribute Test Service from the Finnish Haka Federation lists the attributes it gets from the IdP and checks for correct values.
- ressource de validation service of the French RENATER Federation lists the attributes it gets from the IdP.
- UK federation Test Service Provider from the UK Federation lists the attributes it gets from the IdP.
The tools listed below can be used to search and inspect the content of SAML metadata in a human readable way.
- eduGAIN Entities by the eduGAIN Operations Team
- Metadata Explorer Tool (MET) by REFEDS
- Federation Service Catalogue by Brook Schofield
- SMEV: SAML Metadata Viewer by Peter Schober
- webISOget by Jim Fox